Explore Christmas Island
7 night packages from AUD$2030 per person
Validity : 1 April 2022 – 31 March 2023
Experience the full brunt of the Indian Ocean as it forces its way up through the caverns or take a boardwalk through the jungle, visiting isolated beaches with rockpools brimming with marine life. Witness the amazing annual Red Crab Migration. See the colonial past and spectacle of the islands’ culture on your way to a refreshing waterfall. Explore the wonders Christmas Island has to offer.
An oceanic island, jutting from the Indian Ocean, Christmas Island is an island captured in time. A place long uninhabited by humans, a landscape that ensnared an abundance of flora and fauna, evolving and thriving to make Christmas Island the unique island that it is today. Team that with a cultural mix of Chinese, Malay & Europeans and you have a little slice of South East Asia – in Australia.
Christmas Island is a safe, clean and welcoming place. Tourists are invited to join in local festivities, enter temples and experience the local cuisines. Christmas Island celebrates Chinese New Year, Hari Raya, Ramadan and of course, Christmas!
The annual red crab migration kicks off at the commencement of the wet seasons rains – usually between mid-November through to early January. Check with us directly for the best time to visit based on the longer range weather forecasts. Visit our Red Crab Migration page for more details.
Our recommendation: You can see Red crabs all year round – but obviously they are more active during the wet season. If you want to get everywhere you can with a vehicle, we recommend you travel in the dry season (APR – OCT). Tracks are locked to vehicles during the crab migration, which means lots of extra walking!
This package includes:
- Return flights from Perth with Virgin Australia to Christmas Island
- Applicable taxes
- 7 nights on Christmas Island in a standard room at VQ3 Lodge*
- 7 days 4WD car hire – excluding fuel
- 2 hour Christmas Island Orientation Tour
- 4 hour Half day tour of your choice – please visit the Tours page to select your preference.
*Based on 2 people sharing a room
Single premium available on application.
Room & Property upgraded pricing is available. Please let us tailor your experience to Australia’s Indian Ocean islands
*Subject to availability. Prices & itinerary subject to change at any time.
- A hire car is essential on Christmas Island as there is no public transport available.
- Only Telstra mobiles will work on Christmas Island. On Cocos mainland mobiles will not operate as it is a private network.
- Call into the Visitors Centre to find out about any special events during your stay and gain some local knowledge on the Islands.
- Car and scooter (Cocos only) hire are a good way to explore the Islands it is best to pre book to avoid disappointment.
- Please note that during the Red Crab migration on Christmas Island that the advertised tour itineraries may be disrupted due to road closures.
- Personal EPIRB’s are available from the Christmas Island Police Station if visitors want an extra level of safety whilst visiting our remote locations.
- If bringing food from the mainland it must be packed according to regulations and a purchase receipt for the food must be carried with you.
- Non Australian citizens must travel to the Islands using a passport.
- Australian residents are covered under the Medicare system.
- Travel insurance is highly recommended.
- All prices are quoted in Australian Dollars and are subject to change.